Friday, November 21, 2008

music

I love music. I listen to it every day. It seems too quiet without it playing. But I have to be careful, or music will become my god.
Here are some quotes about music from the book Worldliness.

"Music is meant to be a means of bringing glory to God. Does the music you listen to lead you to love the Savior more or cause your affections for Christ to diminish?"

"Over time the lyrics to songs can weaken our defenses, blur our discernment, and redirect our affections toward the world."

"The fact that new music exists doesn't mean I have to own it. Often, our obsession with music leaves less time for activities with more eternal value - Bible study, prayer, personal reflection, and serving others."

"No music can rival the wonder and breathtaking beauty of the Savior, who came as a man to live a perfect life and die an atoning death in our place."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i honestly expected you to use the most common phrase in today's lexicon:

"music is my life."

so glad you didn't. haha. great post. music is incredible

Emily said...

great post! I really want to read that book...

Allyson Janell said...

Great post! I believe my bible study is about to go through the book Worldliness!
I really like that last quote!