Monday, November 18, 2013

poem

I'm posting twice in one day! What??

I shared this free-verse poem that I wrote before. But that was back in 2009, and I doubt most people remember it, and I want to share it again. So, here it is. (and by the way, it is basically my personal testimony put into a poem) Enjoy! :)

Finally Free
by Emily Sweigart

Sin was my best friend
He showed me all his treasures and promised they would satisfy
I trusted him, believing he was the only one who could make me happy
At first I said, "Yes, this is what I need! I'm happy with my life."
But soon I began to feel empty
I questioned my friend, wondering if there was more to life than him
He did not answer

That's when I realized that sin was no friend
He was my enemy
I struggled to break free, but the harder I tried, the tighter he gripped me
I cried for help, but no one came
Sin began to bury me
He buried me deeper and deeper, until darkness surrounded me
I was dead

Suddenly life flowed into my body and I saw a light shining in the darkness
A man appeared in the midst of the glow
His hands and feet were nailed to a cross, and on his head sat a crown made of thorns
He said, "I have done this, even this, for you."

Sin told me not to believe the man, but I did not listen
This man had given me life, how could I not trust him?
Then I was carried far, far away from sin, and placed at the foot of the cross
I looked up and saw the man, bleeding in my place

Suddenly the cross was empty, and the man stood by my side
He said, "I have conquered death, and so have you. Come, follow me, and I will give you everlasting joy."
I took his hand and ran with him, finally free

No comments: